Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Create Your Own


The people over at Vitamin Water have a pretty fun website to look around and I ran across a cool interactive tool. Its called TRY IT and its pretty much a "create your own" short ad for any flavor of vitamin water that you want.

CLICK HERE to check out the one I made.

This reminds me of the user created ad that Chevy did. It did not work well for Chevy but vitamin water operates in a totally different industry. The ads that people created for Chevy did not make the company or the cars look good and turned out to be a bad PR move. The vitamin water effort seems to be less risky.

I believe that offering "create your own ad for our company" should only be utilized for certain products and industries just as blogging and using social media might not be very useful for certain companies and industries.

What do you think about offering things like "make your own ad" as a PR effort?

5 comments:

Megan said...

*devilish grin.
So you know i had to find a way to poke fun at this. mine said using the "Seductive Susan" English accent:

"try just drinking water from the damn tap. try balance. try it."

LOL. I gotta admit though, this was fun. Kudos for Vitamin Water allowing profanity. :P I guess they dodge the "less tasteful" user-made ads by not featuring them on their site. Good find!

Lauren said...

I think this could be a good move for Vitamin Water. The company has a pretty loyal customer base that would be glad to contribute their positive ads to their website.

i definitely agree that it depends on the product. Chevy's campaign obviously backfired but they had created a reputation with people both positive and negative. A car is something that needs to prove reliable and some people think Chevy's were not. Vitamin Water on the other hand is just a drink. If people don't like it I don't think most will take the time to create a nonsense ad about it. Overall, I think this interactive tool could prove positive results for the company.

BlairL84 said...

This was actually pretty fun. As for the Chevy thing, I never thought it was a good idea to let customers make their own chevy commercials because half of those people weren't even customers, they were just looking to make fun. However, this thing was pretty neat and I think it's a smart move.

Andrew said...

I think that the genius of this is that it gets people involved in the marketing process. People that may have no interest in the product what so ever might stick around just to make their own commercial. This gets the customer to subconsciously internalize the product.

W. Twomey said...

I completely agree with this type of marketing. I have mentioned it in my blog with the McDonald's campaign as well as the unsuccessful Chevrolet campaign. I do believe that this concept of letting the consumers create their own ad is genious and more effectively relates to the target audience because they are the ones making it. Also, very nice use of imagery on the blog!
--westonJ OUT