Monday, October 29, 2007

Dwight Schrute's "Second Second Life"

Second Life was seen used in this past weeks episode of "The Office" on NBC. Dwight Schrute created an avatar that is exactly like he is in his real life because "life is so great that I literally wanted a second one". Everything was exactly the same...except he can fly. Dwight actually created "Second Second Life" (Second Life within Second Life) for people who apparently want to be even more removed from reality. CLICK HERE to check out a clip form the show or visit NBC.com to watch the entire episode.

This gives the paper company that he works for in TV land , Dunder-Mifflin Inc., a presence on Second Life. However, for those of you who watch the show, Dwight might not be the best person you want doing PR work for you.

Now back the the real world. This is an example of how Second Life is growing in national exposure and that leads to greater PR uses. CSI even had Second Life featured in this past weeks episode as Jennifer pointed out in a recent blog post.

It seems that with the ever expanding Internet applications that emerge practically everyday, PR professionals need to be constantly monitoring social media. It is easy to see that there are a lot of opportunities for useful public relations efforts in the social media realm.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

ah, my girlfriend was telling me about this and I was thinking about blogging about it as well. It is very fitting example of how SL has moved into the main stream.

Paro said...

I love how it is kind of making fun of SL. I can't take SL seriously sometimes and this just furthers my thinking that for the most part, SL is weird. I mean I guess it is good for PR but for it to be really efficient a lot of people in the PR profession would need to be on SL and off the training island. By the time those people catch on, many meetings could have been held in real life. I dunno, just my thoughts.