Friday, October 12, 2007

Wanna be a weatherman?

Want to be a weatherman? Now you can be one with the Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network (COCORAHS). Cocorahs.org is community based collaborative network of “backyard weathermen”. Anyone can contribute and all you need are a few inexpensive measurement tools.

To join all you need is to be enthusiastic about the weather in your area. When ever there is a precipitation event in your area just check your measurements and record your results on the cocorahs.org website. They have several goals that they are trying to accomplish by having such an online community. First, they want to provide the most data that they can on precipitation. Second, heighten interest in meteorology and science. The main backer of cocorahs is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

CLICK HERE to check the site out and sign up if you want.

3 comments:

Megan said...

This is pretty cool - when I was little my mom got me interested in learning about weather. I think this would be fun for families as well as other amateur weathermen. Thanks for finding this!

Andrew said...

I wish they had this when I was a kid. Me and one of my best friends in grade school in Dallas figured ourselves as novice storm chasers. We joined NOAA and Storm Watch. It died down for me when I started to play football but my friend stayed on it and now he is a professional storm chaser, check it out http://www.stormpursuit.com

W. Twomey said...

This is awesome, I have never seen anything like this. At one point when I was in middle school/early high school I really wanted to be a meterologist but I wasn't so great in science and the amount of school it took did'nt sound fun. I guess that was before Web 2.0 so now I can still be one as a communications major!
--westonJ OUT